an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Debate wins more trophies

Lancers might not know that the debate club has won more awards than all GHS sports combined. The debate club participates in competitions throughout Utah. Last year they had multiple region, state, and national qualifiers, and multiple valedictorians and sterling scholars have been in the club. This team deserves to be more widely known, but the debate team continues to win in obscurity.

When most students think of debate, they probably think of two people arguing back and forth. Although there is an event for that sort of debate, Granger’s debate team actually participates in several different events.

Dr. Tuckness, the debate coach, trains the team in speech-events. These include oratory, informative, interps, impromptu, and declamation. These events range from talking off the top of one’s head to acting out a scene.

Joselyn Flores (12) has been in debate for three years. Flores and the team have been preparing for their upcoming season. She thinks debate is a great way for students to learn communication skills. “This club definitely prepares you for life because you communicate in large groups and talk about your own opinions and views, while being confident in your words,” Flores said. She wishes debate had more recognition. “It’s so fun, you learn so much, and grow as a person with debate,” Flores said.

Granger clubs are a fun way for students to get involved, and it seems that debate has been a stepping stone for Grangers most high-achieving students. The focus of the school seems to be on athletics. While athletics do have their own benefits and value, they have overshadowed other clubs that are just as beneficial and entertaining.

While this might prompt a debate about why sports are over-valued at Granger, the debate team is focused on doing its best and preparing students for their futures.