an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Opium Aesthetic

Opium+Aesthetic

PLENTY of Lancers are wearing all-black outfits that really just don’t fit the ‘emo’ or ‘goth’ categories. This style has recently started surfacing over the past year. It is known as the Opium aesthetic.

This aesthetic is more than just a dressing style. Opium is a music label that originates in Atlanta, Georgia. It’s a label that was founded by famous rapstar Playboi Carti, and there are currently five members. Plot twist: the internet is surfacing that there may be a sixth member. These members are Ken Carson, Destroy Lonely, Homixide Beno!, Homixide Meechie, and of course, Playboi Carti. All members are from Atlanta where they are hand-picked by Playboi Carti himself to join the Opium label.

Lancers have mixed feelings about whether they like their music or if they just like their dressing style. “I love the dressing aesthetic, it’s very different from anything else, I also love the music that they all produce. It’s pretty close but Destroy Lonely is definitely my favorite of the five,” Anthony Landeros (12) said.

“I love the dressing style and the aesthetic in general, but I do not like the music,” Angie Larrea (11) said.

The Opium style is a build-up of the way the five members dress. Most members are personally styled, except for Destroy Lonely, who claims in multiple songs, and album titles that he has ‘no stylist.’

The founder of all of this “Opium Style” is Burberry Erry. All five are heavily inspired and influenced by Playboi Carti’s way of dressing, who has his own personal stylist. Erry is a skater who brought skating fashion into the rap industry through Playboi Carti. “I knew about Erry and his dressing style from the very beginning of Carti’s new change of fashion. I like it a lot, and it does inspire my outfits today,” Dape Sun (10) said. “I think the Opium aesthetic is something slight, I have a lot of clothes that fit the aesthetic, and love wearing the high-priced brands because it’s cool to me,” Sun said.

There are many different sorts of brands that go around the Opium aesthetic that are worn by many people — brands such as Rick Owens, Dr. Martens, Balenciaga, Chrome Hearts, and many more. “I love the high-priced style. It really can separate you from the rest just due to how expensive it is to truly dress Opium,” Larrea said.

Therefore, anyone who dresses with an ‘Opium’ intent is really just following in the footsteps of dressing like trendy skater Burberry Erry. Fans of this style are definitely roaming around here at Granger High. “I like dressing in the style because it’s just all black. It’s easy and it’s not quite emo, so it’s cool,” Lessly Cruz (12) said.

Lancers do enjoy this aesthetic and it is widely expressed around Granger High School, and all over the world. Wearing the style, listening to the music, it’s all a way of expressing love for the Opium label and its artists.