Earning a driver license includes organ donor decision

Getting a driver license is the number one thing students look forward to in high school, but what students usually do not ever know is there is an important question they need to answer when filling out their form to get a license.

That important question is, “Are you planning to be a donor?” It is the simplest question ever on the form. It just simply asks “Are you a donor?” and that is when you decide will you be or will you not be.

Then you just check yes or no after you have decided.

Students do not realize what a donor really is or what being a donor really is all about. Some just check yes or no without even thinking about it because it is something that isn’t really talked about in school.

Being a donor is being a life saver.

People usually do not want to be an organ donor because they worry about their bodies after they die and the myths they hear about being an organ donor.

The first myth is people think they are not able to have an open casket funeral, but someone still can have an open casket when you are an organ donor. Organ and tissue donation does not interfere with having an open casket funeral.

The second myth is people usually think their families will have to pay for their organ donation, which is not true.

Family members will not need to pay anything for organ donation. All costs are incurred by the organ procurement organization.

The third myth is people think if they are an organ donor, doctors will not try as hard to save their lives because they want those organs for patients on the donor list.

That is totally not true: a doctor’s goal is to always save the patient. Just because someone is an organ donor doesn’t make him or her any less of a human being. His or her life is important, just like everyone else is.

The fourth myth is that people think they aren’t “healthy” enough to be an organ donor, but health doesn’t disqualify someone from being an organ donor and donating organs and tissue.

The fifth myth is doctors will take all of your organs when you only wanted to donate one organ.

That is not true the doctors will follow your wishes. If someone only wants to donate one, then only organ will be harvested.

Being an organ donor is always a good idea “I’m a donor because I want to be able to save lives, and either way I’m already dead,” Mr. Hopkins said.

It is free to register and donate your organs. More than 120,000 people are currently waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.

Eighteen people end up dying each day while waiting for an organ when they could have had a second chance in life. Be an organ donor. Be someone’s hero.