an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Valentine’s Day Gifts

Valentine’s Day is coming up and Lancers are getting their gifts ready. Valentine’s Day is a time for love and appreciation. The tradition of giving gifts began in the 1600s, but it didn’t begin with giving chocolates and roses. It began by gifting pairs of gloves. Eventually, by the 1700s, they began to use Valentine’s cards. What made Valentine’s evolve was Hallmark, a company that started selling Valentine’s cards in 1913.

Initially, Valentine’s started as a romantic gesture, but today it has become a way to let someone know they are special to you.

Here at Granger, students are getting ready for Valentine’s Day. Here are what some students are getting for their special someone. “I’m planning on getting my boyfriend new T-shirts, his favorite candies, cologne, jewelry, and maybe a new controller,” Arianna Cook (12) said. “One of my favorite gifts that I’ve ever gotten for Valentine’s Day was a balloon animal from a few of my friends,” Cook said. Sometimes, the most special gifts to us aren’t the most lavish but something thoughtful.

Cook isn’t the only student who is getting ready. “I’m going to get her a ramo (flower bouquet) and a box full of smaller gifts,” Hector Enriquez (11) said. Ramos is the latest flower trend in which the roses are arranged in a unique way with custom gifts displayed throughout the bouquet. Some students at Granger sell the Ramos.

“I would like to receive a promise ring since I got her one,” Enriquez said. Promise rings are extremely personal and a romantic gesture. Some people say that on Valentine’s Day, gifting isn’t necessary, but simply a kind way to show affection.

“I might get my boyfriend a “burr basket” and put his favorite snacks inside of it,” Charlene Ruiz (9) said. A “burr basket” is a cozy gift basket that includes something to keep warm during the winter. The name “burr basket” is a relatively new term. It became popular on TikTok and has spread there.

It is safe to say that Valentine’s Day is special because Lancers can get their significant others a gift or give something to a group of friends. With Valentine’s just around the corner, the question is, how will they celebrate their special someone? Are they going to opt for a more traditional gift such as chocolates and roses? A few timeless gifts that Lancers could opt for this Valentine’s Day could be a nice piece of jewelry, such as a necklace, bracelet, or ring.

A fun and unique gift could be an experience, like tickets to a concert for that special someone’s favorite band, a movie date, a day at the mall, or an indoor skydiving adventure. It could even be something as simple as a homemade card, baked goods, matching mugs, matching outfits, or a personalized photo box. Whatever they decide, regardless of the monetary value, their loved ones will love the extra thought and effort put into these special gifts.