an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Lady Lancers beat Huskies

Lady lancers working hard in the offseason!

GRANGER High’s girls basketball team played their first game of the season on November 4 at home against the Hillcrest Huskies. With the school day coming to an end and game time coming closer, the nerves were starting to hit.

Starting the game off strong, shooting guard Haylie Harper (10) hit a three from the top of the key. This shifted their momentum and got them going. Even when the Huskies answered with a layup, point guard Olivia Martin (12) answered right back with one of her own.

Granger had a great first quarter, keeping the Huskies down 12-9. They ended the quarter with strong defense and great shooting. Although they struggled a bit on offense in the second quarter, they were able to keep the Huskies down to 16.

As the teams went to their locker rooms for their halftime talk, Manny Taban-Taeoalii, the head coach, motivated the team. “If you all believe, we can achieve,” he said.

They had a great second half, starting strong with a pick-and-roll set by Zion Haiola (12), so things were looking good. Nerves were high and defense was slipping with the Huskies pulling into their first lead of the game: 18-20. Although they had a low-scoring third quarter, only scoring about six points, they pulled through in the fourth.

Keeping the Huskies down at 22 points in the third quarter, the teams were tied again. Both teams were ready for vengeance. The Lady Lancers pulled through having a great ten-point fourth quarter, ultimately ending the game 32-29 and pulling through with the win!

Post-game and next-game preparation for the Lady Lancers look and feel different for everyone. “We run a lot, but it’s great and keeps me in shape,” Haiola said.

“One thing we struggled with was shots, so I’m happy to say we’ve been doing more to help secure them for the next game,” Martin said.

Overall, the Lady Lancers prevailed against the Huskies, and are hoping to win again in the future. “The season is going well, and I see a lot of progress from the girls. My goal for the season is to get better every game and every practice and hopefully push forward to get more wins,” head coach Taban-Taeoalii said.

The Lady Lancers are working hard and looking to get better every day. And hopefully get more wins. Region is approaching and the Lady Lancers would love it if Granger students could come and show support at their upcoming home region games.

Their season ends in February, and after the season, they are going to work hard to get better for 2024-2025. They will hold open gyms in the offseason if some Lancers want to try out for the team next year. And playing basketball is a good way to motivate kids in school to get better grades and make new friends — it has a lot of good scholarship opportunities, too.