Daylight Savings

WHEN GRANGER students think of fall usually the rst few things that come to their minds are fall break, Halloween and Thanksgiving. What many stu- dents don’t really think about is Daylight Savings Time—all in hopes to get an extra hour of use- ful daylight.

A small change can make the biggest impact. Usually, around this time of year, students tend to have a decrease in motivation of students and a rise in attendance issues. Many students usually sleep in without realizing it be- cause of how dark the sky is in the mornings.

Some students stay up late to do assignments they didn’t get a chance to nish during the day because of activities after school like work or practice. “It’s tough to wake up on time because I have work after school, and don’t have time to do all the homework, so I stay up really late to do my homework,” Fatima Halilcevic (12) said.

Many students lose all their motivation to come to school al- together. Having to wake up to a pitch dark morning sky and cold, snowy weather may be the things to blame in this situation. “I think it becomes even harder to wake up and come to school because I don’t want to leave my warm and cozy bed,” Isaiah Rascon (12) said.

Some believe that Daylight Savings time isn’t necessary. This belief is strengthened with the facts that it can actually af- fect people in various negative ways. It can increase the rate of sleep deprivation among students which can eventually lead to oth- er serious issues like an increased risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Without Daylight Savings students can keep that hour of sleep which could make them healthier.

Students believe that school should start like an hour or so later during the fall and winter months to help us get a little more sleep. “I think that school should start later when the sun is out. It can help us get more sleep and help us stay awake at school and feel more productive,” Sandra Gonzalez (11) said.

Aside from losing sleep and becoming unmotivated there seems to be some bene ts that come along when changing the clock back an hour. A big one is that it saves energy, it also adds an extra hour of useful daylight that could be put to good use. A study showed that it can make us safer. It makes the roads safer and reduces pedestrian fatalities as reported on thetimeanddate.com website.

DST’s effects aside, an extra hour of sleep is a treat everyone can enjoy on Sunday morning.