Credit recovery bridges the graduation gap

CREDIT recovery is a class with a high class size of about 40 students for each period. For those who don’t know, credit recovery is a class taught by Mr. Hopkins in E203, upstairs. Credit recovery helps students make up credits, pass classes, and eventually graduate. Credit recovery works with packets in math, English, science, social studies, art, P.E., and computer tech.

In this class, Mr. Hopkins gives students packets to work on for the whole class period. He also checks grades and makes sure students are on track and where they’re supposed to be. He says it definitely helps students stay on track and even graduate. Hopkins claims his credit recovery class has helped about thirty or more seniors graduate. This class may be attended by all grades here at Granger High School. There are currently no freshman students in credit recovery, because freshman just arrived and do not have any credits they need to make up.

Students are required to do a pretest. if they receive an 80% or higher, they automatically earn the credit, but if they get under an eighty percent, they have to do the packet and take the posttest.

“It’s boring. Especially if you don’t have work to do,” Julian Perez (10) said. He is doing a math and an English packet. He feels this class has helped him keep his grades up as well as earn the required credits for the classes he needs. On a scale from one to five with one being easier and five being harder, Julian says his packet is a five and says it’s really hard.

Some students may say the packet is not that hard though. For example, student Nathan Hernandez (11) said the class has helped him graduate by collecting the essential credits and giving him more knowledge than he already had. Nathan is only doing an English packet and on a scale from one to five he claims his packet to only be a three. He described the class to be quiet and strict. “There’s no messing around,” he said.

Walking into the class for the first time, it’s easy to feel a change of environment because the class is very quiet. All students are focused on what they’re doing and they all know exactly what their assignment is. Every student in the class was doing work individually.

The students work very hard and are very respectful of Hopkins. Hopkins helps keep his students focused and check on their grades to assure they are on track and doing what they’re supposed to. Students who are struggling or missing credits may talk to their counselors and switch into a credit recovery class for second semester. Counselors will help change schedules in order to get students into a credit recovery class to do a packet, take a pretest, and make up credits to graduate. This class has most definitely helped students graduate. Anyone who needs help with credits and keeping up grades should consider credit recovery.