an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Working Students

WORKING students are all around Granger High School, and they have to deal with having a job and finishing schoolwork. These students must have good time management, because they need to figure out what time they’ll do homework, chores, what time they go to work, and when they can go out.

Jaylin Romero (11) says she doesn’t have that much of a hard time, and that she usually gets 1-2 hours after school to do homework or take a little nap. “Just as long as you have a set schedule and have everything planned out for the day, you’ll be able to get it done,” Romero said. She also recommends doing schoolwork during school hours and not after school. Romero said she gets at least 2-3 days off a week, and those days give her a good time to reset and get everything in check. She’s learned a lot from work as well, like being independent, making her own money, managing her money, and giving her a glimpse of how it would be working later in life.

Some students may have a hard time if their schedules aren’t flexible, and every student’s schedule can be different depending on how many hours they work. Work schedules may also cause students to go to sleep late and arrive much later to school.

“Going to school while working a job is stressful, but it’s worth it in the end,” Rachel luangsana (11) said. She manages her time pretty well, but her biggest struggles are finding time for homework and not having enough free time. She also thinks work makes school harder, because sometimes she would like to work more hours but is caught up with school and is unable to go clock in.

Annie Puerta (11) says she feels pretty good about going to school and working. It keeps her busy. Especially because she gets her schoolwork done during the week and then works on weekends. Puerta also says that her work schedule doesn’t affect her school schedule because her boss is really flexible with her schedule and knows that school is always her first priority.

Most students will prioritize school over work, but there probably are some students who would rather spend too much time at work. It just depends on how they manage their time and how motivated they are to do so. Working students should get some sort of recognition, especially if they are doing well in school and at work. Being so young and handling both tasks can be challenging, so hopefully those $300-$400 biweekly paychecks are worth it.