an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Johnny Lopez Perez, proud Sophmore Class Artist

JOHNATHAN Lopez Perez (10). He goes by Johnathan or Johnny for short, and he is the sophomore class artist. When Lopez Perez was interviewed about his duties and responsibilities as one of the sophomore class officers, He said that ever since he was assigned as the artist, he has been responsible for Planning out decorations for school events, for example, spirit week, assemblies, and banners for upcoming sporting event games like football, boys and girls volleyball, basketball, etc. Anyone interested in becoming the artist class officer for a grade next year could find themselves with these responsibilities as well.

Entering student government is a huge accomplishment for all students. Of course, if a parent hears about their own son or daughter entering the student government, they will feel some type of excitement and pride. This was the case for Lopez Perez’s parents. “When my parents heard about me joining the student government, they were very excited and proud of me because they knew that I would do good in the student government,” Lopez Perez said.

Every student government officer has a different reason why they joined and why they stayed. Some joined because they were bored, and some joined because they needed something to put on their resume. The reason why Lopez Perez became our artist sophomore class officer was because of his older brother. “Well, first of all, the main reason why I joined student government was because my older brother was in it. When he attended Granger High School, he was SBO president and he inspired me to enter student government as well,” Lopez Perez said.

When a student enters the student government and becomes a class officer, they may be treated differently, however, this does not appear to be the case here. “Everyone inside the student government are students who live their own lives and wouldn’t treat anyone else differently. At the end of the day, we are all just students. If you have had any ideas of joining student government, but you were scared of people looking at you differently, you shouldn’t worry and should join!” Lopez Perez said.

Entering student government can be a big change, sometimes it can lead to them not liking some of the aspects of being a class officer. Lopez Perez says one aspect that people dislike about being in student government would be how time-consuming it is. Lopez Perez is required to stay after school often and help put up decorations, work on banners, collaborate, and come up with ideas for spirit week.

Becoming a student class officer can lead students to trying to grow and maybe become a better student overall.

When Mrs. Roche, a student government adviser, says that Lopez Perez is a reliable officer. “Johnny is a really great student! He looks after his classmates and himself. He’s really good at helping others if people around him are stuck, and he’s just a really great student overall and I’m glad to have him,” Mrs. Roche said.

Alongside one of Lopez Perez’s teachers, one of his fellow class officers, Kimberly Morales Martinez (10) is eager to talk about Lopez Perez as a colleague. “Johnny is such an amazing class officer! It took him a while to warm up to us, but now we are all so close to him. He puts in all his effort — especially when it comes to hallway decorations. He has such great ideas, and he is always willing to design whatever we ask him to and draw it in full detail. He is so silly at times and can always make us laugh even when he doesn’t mean to. I love being able to work with him and seeing all the stupid pictures he sends to our group chat. I couldn’t have asked for a better artist this year,” Morales Martinez said.