an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Mean Girls at Granger

Gretchen, Stop Trying to Make Fetch Happen!
Mean Girls at Granger

“ON WEDNESDAYS, we wear pink!!”

The 2004 Mean Girls movie is the pinnacle of pop culture. With the new movie released, many have been surprised that it is a musical. But Mean Girls has been a musical on Broadway since 2018!

This year, Ms. Timpson and her Musical Theatre class have been preparing Mean Girls Jr.

“Last year we performed a revue, which was a compilation of Broadway songs. But this year, we are performing a full Jr. musical,” Nayeli Govea (10) said.

Govea, who’s been in the class for two years, is excited to have a role in the show. “I play Janis. It’s really fun to be sarcastic and have some solo songs,” Govea said.

The show follows Cady’s journey into high school. Cady meets ‘The Plastics’ and their leader Regina George.

“It’s fun to play Regina because she’s on the top of the world,” Tayva Cope (10) said. “I love the cast, so it makes it easier when I’m being mean to them in character,” Cope said.

One of the funniest ‘plastics’ is Karen Smith. “I love love, love, playing Karen. It’s one of my dream roles,” Arius Hardman (11) said. “I love the ‘meet the plastics’ scene. It helps introduce us to the story,” Hardman said.

Since the cast only rehearses during class time, it makes sense to do a Jr. musical. But, with the shorter version, some songs have been cut. “My favorite song was taken out,” Cope said. But the songs still in are still worthwhile! “My favorite song in the Jr. version is “World Burn”,” Cope added.

With Regina’s eventual downfall, Copes’ solo song “World Burn” portrays Regina’s need for revenge. The story is funny, iconic, and tragic to follow along with.

Class collaboration is key for the cast to succeed. All props, costumes, choreography, and blocking are made in class. “It’s a new experience for rehearsals and the time we have together,” Hardman said. But the cast is ready for this challenge!

The class is preparing for its after-school performance on April 17, and more details will be on @LancerDrama on the instagram.com website.

“I am beyond excited to perform with my classmates,” Hardman said. This will be an event that Lancers will not want to miss! Or, in the words of Gretchen, ‘It’ll be fetch!’ ”