Teens are building big businesses

Elizabeth+Aldana

Leyla Ilyazova

Elizabeth Aldana

Leyla Ilyazova, Reporter

ONE OF the most stressing questions to pose on a high schooler might be, “What are your plans for after graduation?” And then, the heart stopper for the college bound, “What would you like to major in?” It’s ok to not know where to go after high school, but those questions can really loom over a person. But there are many high schoolers who may have ideas in motion—and those ideas frequently circle around entrepreneurship.

In 2020, with cancelled sports seasons, no in-person school, and relatively no social events, teens had what felt like unlimited time during the pandemic. While many students had invested their abundant energy sitting in bed looking through Netflix, some began to search for ways to utilize their abilities and time to earn some cash in their neighborhoods.

“I wanted to express the love I have for art, doing nails was a great way to do so, it’s now been six months and I’ve met amazing clients,” Briseyde Urquiza (12) said.

Using social media to assist with publicizing products has proven to be incredibly successful for young entrepreneurs. Younger generations know the worth of their dynamic, active followers to assist with growing their businesses. Throughout the summer, social feeds and stories were filled with friends and family showcasing advertisements for teens, exhibiting everything from custom bracelets to baked sweets.

“I’d promote my desserts on Instagram and Snapchat, my friends would repost my work, I would sell at truck meets and my mom told all her friends. I grew very quickly,” Marinthia Mendoza (12) said.

Besides marketing, using time productively and organizational abilities are important to be mindful of when beginning a business. Between the stock, costs, materials, and advertising, cleanly managing time and staying on top of orders is critical. While doing all of this, a working student must also stay caught up in school.

“I have a job aside from selling bracelets, mainly to just cover bills. All the profit from my business goes towards funds for school. I’m good at managing school and work, but if I wanted to join extracurricular clubs, I know I wouldn’t have the time,” Elizabeth Aldana (12) said.

As a teen entrepreneur, a person will gain experience like no other. One might learn the ability to solve problems, think critically, and be inventive and imaginative. Young entrepreneurs may also learn how to pursue future goals that may be overwhelming to others but will come more easily to young businesspeople. “The idea that keeps me motivated is that starting little can become something so big in no time,” Aldana said. This pandemic has uncovered a rush of youthful entrepreneurs and has given us a brief look at the future for our economy.