Officers help Lancers solve problems

Officer Hoffman enjoys working at Granger.

Christian Rocha, Reporter

POLICE have a very important role at Granger High School. Their job is to keep threats as far away as possible, make students feel safe at school, and to help the students and staff when we need it. The students here at Granger show gratitude for the police on campus in many different ways.

Victor Landeros (12) is a student at Granger that attends most of Granger’s events such as football games, assemblies, dances, and more.

Landeros attended one of the first football games of the year. During the football game, there was an incident by the front gate. The incident involved a gun and students from another high school. “I didn’t really know what was going on, I heard a loud pop and assumed it was from one of the cars that was at the car meet,” Landeros said.

The police staff that were guarding the event immediately jumped into action and kept the students safe. “I was so glad and relieved that the police officers were so quick on their feet,”Landeros said.

Keeping us safe from life threatening situations isn’t the only reason police officers are stationed here. It could be for something as simple as a student getting their keys locked in their car. That is exactly what happened to Jason Chavara (12).

Chavara drives himself and his sister to school and back everyday. “I had forgotten my keys in my car one day after lunch. I didn’t realize it until after school when I was trying to go home,” Chavara said.

Chavara went to go speak with one of the officers to see if they could help. He was glad to find out that they were able to help with no problem. They walked to his car and unlocked it in just 3 minutes.

“It was surprising how nice they were towards me, I was kinda nervous asking them for help since they almost always have a bad rep. But if I have to be honest, I’m appreciative that the police are here and willing to help any situation,” Charvara said. 

Students here at Granger are glad to have the officers in the building, but the officers protecting us may not know how grateful the Lancers are to have them. Officer Hoffin is an officer here at Granger High School. Him and many other officers are new to the Granite School District. Hoffin has had a great first impression of the students so far.

“The students here at Granger seem to be really kind. There are no issues that have come up so far,” Hoffin said. The police are not only here to stop dangerous acts and people, they are here to help us with a lot more things than people think.

Hoffins has helped many students by just answering questions. “‘Is it A or B day?’ ‘Could you help me find my class?’ ‘What time is 2nd period?’ These are some of the small things we get on a daily basis,” Hoffin said. The other officers are more than happy to help with any and all situations as well. Don’t be afraid to ask the officers about any concerns you may have. They are here for our benefit and are always willing to help.