High school dating challenges

Anna+Ramirez+says+that+dating+can+be+beautiful%2C+but+school+comes+first.+

Anna Ramirez says that dating can be beautiful, but school comes first.

Analicia Montoya, Reporter

IN ADDITION to the stresses of social circles, assignments, and insecurities, teenagers also have to deal with romantic relationships. Most of the time, high school relationships do not last. Nonetheless, this does not mean that they do not provide insightful lessons for future relationships and present and future commitments. 

Nevertheless, there are those who hesitate to involve themselves in romantic relationships, no matter the potential lessons or success of them. “I feel like having a relationship in high school is adding on responsibilities that you don’t need at this time,” Brian Haro (12) said. It is important to always think about one’s personal priorities and responsibilities during high school and even into adulthood.  This means that if one is not ready to commit to a relationship, there is no shame in that. Setting these priorities is part of growing into mature adults, which is one of the goals of high school. 

Even so, there are those who do enter romantic relationships. It is very important to get to know that person in all aspects before seeking a future with them. It is unfair for both people involved if neither knows what and with who they are getting themselves involved with.  

Unfortunately, there are some negative repercussions of high school dating. Dating in high school increases the vulnerability and insecurities of teens. This, in part, is due to the stress of balancing school work with relationship commitments. Responsibilities like homework, standardized testing performances, and planning for the future are being sacrificed for a relationship, which can lead to poor academic performances and students feeling insecure in themselves. 

This can lead into a double failure when students begin to lose interest in class while experiencing problems in their relationship. “I think dating in high school is a beautiful thing only if those two are actually committed. It’s important for the couple to know that school comes first,” Anna Ramirez (11) said.

Although dating in high school has a lot of downsides, there are also good turnouts with this topic. Dating in high school exposes people to different personalities, different traits, and different ways of life, thus breaking down and making it clearer of what that person is looking for. A positive aspect of teenage dating is it facilitates maturity. Together, partners decide what boundaries and balance need to exist in their relationship. 

“I think it’s important that the couple stays honest with each other. Communication is a must when going through tough times and also listening to what their partner is feeling and has to say, then helping them get through it. Growing together, not away from each other, is a pivotal lesson in a relationship,” Jair Hendrix (12) said. 

Overall, being in a relationship that one is truly committed to and willing to learn from, while maintaining academic priorities, is a beautiful thing.