What do lancers think about the dress code?

Stephanie Dorantes, Reporter

STUDENTS have no power over the dress code whatsoever, and no matter what they do, they can’t change it. They’re not the ones in charge of the school, so they may as well not try to change the dress code. Sure some things just don’t make sense to everyone like the shoulders part. However, it’s an issue worth studying from both sides, and both students and administrators have reasonable opinions.

While not everyone agrees with the shoulders part, the dress code is not that hard to follow. Lancers should just respect it. They are now in high school, and they should do what they are kindly asked to do. And when a Lancer does earn a dress code violation, he or she might get angry, but he or she already knew what was expected in terms of appropriate clothing to wear in school.

Roberto Martinez (12) doesn’t care for the dress code, but he also agrees with the dress code. He believes that it’s a school, and that Lancers should wear clothing that is appropriate to school. “Since we are older now, we should know the rules about what to wear for school, and we should not be wearing ‘those’ types of clothing to school,” he said.

Martinez explained that when students get dress coded, they shouldn’t get angry for no reason, because they knew about the dress code from the start. There is no reason to get angry with the teachers or administrators.

Mr. Beck and Dr. Dunn agree that they enforce the dress code for the safety of all students, because their job is to keep us safe. Dr. Dunn likes the school to have a professional image, so when random people come in they see that Granger has pride.

Dress code is tricky. Girls want to wear some stylish things like a dress or a pair of shorts. But there is a time and place to wear them, and that it’s not in a classroom during school.

Riyan Shepherd (11) agrees with the dress code. She thinks that some part of the dress code makes sense not very hard to understand. No one wants to see half of a butt check hanging out,” she said. She also thinks that the dress code is a way for everyone to feel comfortable in school.

The dress code makes sense for teachers and students at Granger and for the people who visit Granger. School is a place to learn, to get an education also to create a clean environment for everyone.

Shepherd dislikes the dress code requirements for exposed shoulders. She thinks that no one really cares about shoulders, and she thinks that showing shoulders is not a crime nor a distraction to students in any way. In the end, she doesn’t think that the dress code really matters, and that it’s not the most important issue to worry about.Brian Gramajo (12) dislikes the dress code and also doesn’t understand how it’s ‘distracting.’ He believes that the faculty exaggerates the dress code. He thinks they also makes the dress code an even bigger problem. He also believes that the dress code will change with the seasons.