an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

New Phone Policy

RUMORS FLY! Have you heard that your phone is going to be taken away next year? This year, Governor Cox asked all schools in the state to restrict phones in the classroom. Some teachers have already started integrating new phone policies, while others are waiting for the new year to start laying down the rules for phone policies.

One science teacher, Ms. Loomis, implemented a paper bag policy; when students enter her class, they put their phones in a brown lunch bag and staple it. If she catches students with their phones after they were supposed to put them away, then she’ll take them.

A lot of other science teachers are also doing the same thing. Other teachers have different systems they use.

A lot of teachers think that it is up to the students if they want to receive good grades or not. If they’re failing their classes due to being distracted by their phones, then it’s their fault. Most students would agree that their grade is their responsibility.

But next year, the administration is taking it to another level by initiating a school-wide policy. Lancers will be getting phone pouches by the brand Yondr, where they’ll put their phone in the pouches from the beginning of the first period until the end of the fourth period (yes, lunch included!).

A question a lot of students and parents have asked is what to do if it’s in the case of an emergency. If there’s an emergency at home, the only way parents will be able to contact their children is by calling their phones or waiting for a response by a quick message.

If it is a school-level emergency, the best answer the administration can give is that students will not be able to relay information through their phones, which might stop misinformation from being spread, but students will lose the opportunity to reach out to family when needed.

Not too long ago, Dr. Howe sent out a survey for parents and teachers to voice their opinions on this subject. While most teachers agreed, the administration suggested that most parents agreed, however, if you look at the actual statistics, it was a 53% majority, which isn’t a very clear mandate.

Students will not be able to access their phones at all during the day — considering the only thing that would be able to open them is a magnet that only teachers and administrators would have access to — but students have already found ways to bypass the system. There are magnets to open them online for as low as $10, as well as various videos on how to open them.

This is a huge expense to the school, and students are wondering if the money should be going somewhere else instead. With it being expensive, students will also be responsible for paying for any damages they cost to their phone pouches.

This policy will upset students and could cause more problems. While students may not like it, there are some benefits to these pouches. They might help students to focus, socialize, and just engage in the learning environment.

Questions or concerns? DM the governor at @govcox on Instagram.