an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Ramadan: a month of celebration ends in April with Eid

Deksan and Ahlam appreciate the opportunities they have to strengthen their faith through self-reflection and fasting during Ramadan.

RAMADAN is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. It’s a month where Muslims from all over the world fast from sunrise to sunset. This means that they restrain themselves from all foods and drinks (yes, even water!).

During Ramadan, Muslims eat as much food as they desire before sunrise, to prepare for the day. This meal is called Suhur. They have a feast at sunset called Iftar. Many dishes could be served for Iftar depending on each family and culture. A common Ramadan dish that is cherished all over the world is Sambusa, but the most common food to break one’s fast is a date.

Ramadan is all about getting closer to Allah and getting into more religious habits as a Muslim. It purifies the soul and teaches self-control. At the end of this holy month, Muslims celebrate a holiday called Eid Ul-Fitr. On this day, two prayers are made at the mosque early in the morning, and most families go out to celebrate afterwards by doing a fun activity or going out to eat.

Here at Granger, the staff shows support by allowing students to leave class around 1:30 p.m. for prayer. This prayer is called Duhr. Students pray in the auditorium foyer and return to class about 10-15 minutes later. They appreciate the administration and teachers for their patience, and the counseling office for giving out prayer passes. Muslim Lancers at Granger High have favorite Ramadan dishes, traditions, Eid activities and overall outcome of their month.

Ahlam Elnoor (10) has a favorite Ramadan dish called Dolma. It is enclosed with a vegetable/leafy wrapper containing fish, rice, beef, fruit or any combination of ingredients inside. Elnoor says that the biggest outcome of Ramadan for her is the lesson of becoming a better person and gaining patience. Fasting for 16 hours and only eating for about twenty minutes is a humbling experience that makes her appreciate all the food and drinks that she always has access to that other children around the world may never have. Elnoor says that her family prays, eats together, and exchanges gifts to celebrate Eid.

Deksan Omar (10) enjoys seeing others happy and enjoying themselves, although some people don’t get much of it. “It is a time of year to strengthen one’s relationship with Allah, and a time to self-reflect. It encourages lots of spiritual growth, and the best time to make prayers and Duas. Ramadan is a time to teach yourself self-discipline,” Omar said.

Omar believes that Ramadan is the best time to give back to charity and connect with family and your community.  She believes that all is well if everyone looks nice, has fun, and does their best to celebrate with loved ones for Eid. Her favorite meal to munch on for Iftar is Somali rice with chicken and lettuce on top.