an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Stay Safe in the Shops

Stay Safe in the Shops

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN, some minor, some major. In Granger’s shops, accidents can range from annoying to dangerous, and the teachers focus on safely to prevent all of them.

Welding is a joining of two metal pieces using heat and/or pressure. Considering all the powerful equipment in the shop, this class has the potential for an accident here and there. Sparks fly around and heat is blazing, but that’s not the only danger. Students could also pass out.

“It didn’t feel like three minutes, it felt like I fell down and woke up,” Buster Lockhart (11) said. Lockhart, in an accident that scared many, passed out during his welding class due to dehydration. Lockhart suffered a concussion but no major injuries.

Vincent Keyonnie (11) expressed his concern and fear after he saw his friend fall to the ground. “I was actually pretty scared, I thought he died,” Keyonnie said. “It’s good that he didn’t pass out at the wheel or using the grinder,” Keyonie said.

It’s easy to forget about hydration when working in a shop, but Lancers should make sure to drink lots water during class.

During his freshman year Keyonie had an accident as well. As he and his friends look back on it, it gets funnier each year.

“I spilled a bunch of oil in my automotive class,” Keyonnie said. “I thought my partner had screwed the drain plug back on right,” Keyonnie said. He had to stay after school to clean up the mess.

CTE safety is very important. Lancers should listen to their teachers and follow safety regulations, even if they do seem silly. No one wants to hear a story of someone chopping their fingers off.

A few standard shop safety tips for Lancers include: wear safety glasses, wear non-slip shoes, tie up loose hair, be aware of what is going on around the working environment, stay hydrated, communicate with fellow classmates and ask questions.