an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

School and Work

THROUGHOUT high school, everyone goes through hardships that feel impossible to overcome. There is a wide variety of challenges such as having a hard time with school, relationship breakups, family problems, maintaining good grades while working part-time, and or their health overall. Although those are just some of MANY examples, I’d say that most Lancers can relate to the last one.

Many students at Granger have a lot of things going on in their lives such as extracurricular activities, sports, part-time jobs, etc. Some students, choose to work to gain independence or to buy things they want. While others work to help support their family. I work to help with some bills, but I also work to save up for things I need or want.

However, maintaining the balance between our social lives and work feels difficult. We’re always doing something. If it isn’t school, it’s work, if it’s not work, it’s putting time in for these extracurricular activities. Balancing these things can be draining.

This imbalance usually leads to one being mentally/physically strained. While I understand that there are methods to help with the stress that comes with balancing this stressful lifestyle, they don’t always work. Especially when you’re so busy trying to keep up with everything else or if you are on a time crunch and don’t have any time for yourself.

As always, there is this thing most people have a hard time getting over: procrastination. You say to yourself,

“I’ll do it later,” and the next thing you know, the assignment doesn’t end up being done until the last minute. It is a STRUGGLE and has a grip on many people, including me. I think we’ll figure out a schedule to prevent this, later.

Although we have these obstacles, it’s not every day that our lives are in turmoil and we’re trying to keep it together. There are days in which we can have some time to breathe and enjoy our time, with that time, I usually catch up on shows, hobbies, or try and make plans with friends, but that doesn’t always work out because planning a day where we can hang out seems IMPOSSIBLE.

Anyway, I still wonder what keeps everyone going, especially throughout the end of the quarter. Personally, what keeps me from hitting rock bottom is the fear of failure because I am not about to stop when I’ve come this far- you shouldn’t either.

Although it may feel like a never-ending cycle, high school doesn’t last FOREVER, and soon enough, we’ll be working on other things, like learning more about ourselves, becoming our own people, and making choices that’ll affect us in the long run.

For anyone who’s made it reading this far — even to those who didn’t — I sincerely wish the best to all. I believe that we’ll make it in the end, no matter who we become. As cheesy as this sounds, keep pushing forward, and continue to go after your dreams/goals that you desire. Anything is possible if you work hard and put your mind to it.