an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Gypsy Rose Released


GYPSY Rose Blanchard and her boyfriend, Nicholas Godejohn, were both arrested on June 15, 2015. They were taken into custody after the police found Gypsy’s mother, Dee Dee, deceased. The police arrived when Dee Dee’s friends saw her Facebook post captioned, “That B**** is dead.”

Her friends then called the authorities, worried. When they arrived, they found Dee Dee’s body with multiple stab wounds. Gypsy and Nicholas were nowhere to be found. They tracked down both Gypsy and Nicholas, and they were both arrested.

Gypsy was then sentenced to ten years in prison in July 2016 after pleading guilty to her role in the fatal stabbing of her mother, Claudine “Dee Dee” Blanchard.

Gypsy claims what she did was self-defense, Dee Dee claimed that Gypsy was ill. Gypsy was consistently being diagnosed for numerous different things. However, Gypsy was never ill, and her mom was making up all her symptoms.

Story continues below advertisement

Experts say that the mental disorder, Munchausen Syndrome (by proxy), caused Dee Dee’s actions. Because Dee Dee wanted to be a caretaker for so long, she forced her own daughter to have an illness. She kept coming up with fake symptoms and diagnoses.

When Gypsy was born in 1991, her mother claimed she was suffering from sleep apnea. When Gypsy was eight years old, her mother claimed she was suffering from Leukemia and muscle dystrophy.

Her mother claimed Gypsy needed a wheelchair and required a feeding tube. The list goes on seizures, asthma, hearing, and vision impairments, etc. With her mom making up symptoms and illnesses, Gypsy was forced to take multiple medications and use a breathing machine when sleeping. This caused her to become sick. She did not need any of the medications and treatment she was receiving.

Gypsy was put through multiple surgeries. Because of her medications, her teeth have started to rot. The truth was, Gypsy, could walk, she didn’t need a feeding tube, and did not have cancer. Her mom would shave her hair. They believe her mother did all this because of her own illness: seeking attention.

Gypsy would go along with what her mom told her to do, until June 9, 2015. Gypsy and her boyfriend, Nicholas, murdered Dee Dee. Gypsy was then sentenced to ten years in prison and was released on December 28th. 2023 at 3:30 a.m., after serving only seven years of her sentence.

She was granted parole and was released three years earlier than her original release date. Gypsy sat down for an interview where she said, “Nobody will ever hear me say I am happy about what I did or proud because I regret it, every single day.”

“She did not deserve it,” Gypsy said. “She was a very sick person and unfortunately, I was not educated enough to know that. I deserved to be where I am sitting, in prison, doing time for criminal behavior,” she said. When Gypsy was released, she was reunited with her husband, Ryan Anderson, whom she connected with during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Not only did she reunite with Ryan, but she reunited with her family and spent the holidays with them. People found out Gypsy was released when she posted on her Instagram, captioned, “First selfie of freedom.” The day after she was released. It gained millions of likes and became the Hot Topic.

Gypsy Rose now has a huge social media following, having 8.3 million followers on her Instagram and 9.9 million followers on her TikTok, and just keeps growing. Within a few days of being released, she is already known by the world, and she lives on to tell her story.

More to Discover