Jumanji offers up its third level of fun

Breawna Howell, Reporter

IN DECEMBER many movies are coming out of theaters, such as Jumanji: The Next Level, which is the third movie in the series. The second movie was kind of a surprise to many people, because the very first Jumanji came out in 1995 when it was just a board game that a kid named Alan (Robin Williams) found. He found it because it was making a noise like a heartbeat, so he decided to take it and played with a girl he liked named Sarah (Bonnie Hunt). When they played the game Alan got trapped in the game for decades. 

He was released out of the game when two curious youngsters, a boy named Peter (Bradley Pierce) and a girl named Judy (Kirsten Dunst) moved into a mansion. The two explored the mansion and found the game because they heard the heartbeat noise, and they then played it. Later, they found out that the game was alive and did crazy things when they found out someone had to beat the game for it all to go away. 

All the players got together to complete the game so everything would go away. At the end of the movie, they buried the game and hoped no one would ever find it. The director of this 1995 movie was Joe Johnston the movie got a 54% Rotten Tomatoes rating and 92% liked the movie.

In the second movie, a guy that passed by the board game decided to pick it up to give to his son. When his son looked at it, he threw it to the side because he was more interested in video games. That night, the board game turned into one. That morning, he found it and the game was making the heartbeat noise and so he played it. But then he got pulled into the game and was apart of the game. As a result, and no one knew where he went he was missing for twenty years.

Then, four high schoolers got detention and had to clean up the school attic and found the game. They all decided to pick their charters, and after that they all got pulled into the game. They became the adult avatars they chose. The four of them had to go through the jungle, desert, mountains, and dangerous animals to save the fantastical video game world of Jumanji in order to get back home. 

What they discover is that you don’t just play Jumanji, you must survive it. To beat the game and return to the real world, they’ll have to go on the most dangerous adventure of their lives, discover what Alan Parrish left 20 years ago, and change the way they think about themselves, or they’ll be stuck in the game forever. 

The four high schoolers Bethany (Madison Iseman), Spencer (Alex Wolff), Martha (Morgan Turner), and Anthony “Fridge” (Ser’Darius Blain) became the avatars Ruby Roundhouse (Karen Gillan), Dr. Smolder Bravestone (Dwayne Johnson), Franklin Finbar (Kevin Hart), Professor Shelly Oberon (Jack Black), and Alex (Nick Jones) who played as the teen that was missing for twenty years.

Towards the end of the movie, they saved Jumanji and got released from the game and went back home. The teen who went missing got to go home too and lived his life like nothing ever happened and even had his own kids and a wife. The four high schoolers found the game and they smashed it with a bowling ball. After that, the four high schoolers got close and became good friends and are standing together when they hear the board game making the heartbeat noise. Now, with the new movie coming out, it’s time for the next level of the game.