Knowledge makes healthy eating easy

While you can save money while eating unhealthy, you’ll lose more money in medical bills.

Adan Puerta, Reporter

IN AN AGE of fast-paced living and high stress, it common for people to not prioritize healthy eating and habits. Many people don’t even know what a healthy meal and diet should consist of. “Healthy eating means knowing what nutrients your body needs and what is harmful to you,” Ms. Faldmo said.

A meal should be about 60% carbs, 10-15% protein, and no more than 30% fat. Drink water every day and remain hydrated at all times. “Bad eating habits around are junk food and soda,” Faldmo said. It is important that people try to incorporate more fruits and veggies as the status quo into their meals.

However, one should focus on factors other than what the meal consists of. Know how big a portion size is. Make sure to get enough calories to fuel healthy activity. It is never good to starve nor overeat.  Figuring out what a healthy meal should consist of, as well as learning portion control and balancing, is key to feeling healthier.

Being able to balance and plan what to eat is a great way to start off a nutritious diet plan. If students stick to a plan, it will eventually become a routine.

“A healthy habit is planning out what meals you’re going to make and when you are going to eat them,” Mr. Felion said. “Don’t eat a whole box of Little Caesars pizza when the serving slice is only one slice,” he said.

Studying and looking over a nutrition label will help inform students of how many nutrients are taking into their bodies. Also knowing what ingredients are being used in the food is really helpful in determining whether it is worth eating it or not. The more information collected, the healthier that diet will be.

For some, healthy eating is an aspect of their lives making it much easier to live that lifestyle. “I don’t take healthy eating into consideration that often because my mom already makes healthy food all the time,” Derrick Rosas (11) said.

For others, trying to fight the urge to eat junk food is very hard. When tempted to eat at fast food chains, think of the repercussions that can come with it. Don’t spend money on something that is damaging to overall well-being. It’s wiser to invest in better foods in order to look and feel nice inside and out.

There are sources people can use to stay on track with their healthy diet. One such source is the fatsecret.com website. Other things can be done, too.

“Looking over the food pyramid and finding out all the nutrients that your body needs can help,” Ms. Lisonbee, the school nurse, said. Kids are eating too many processed foods and not enough fresh fruits and veggies.

The biggest thing for eating healthy is planning. You have to plan and bring food with you. Plan a menu, shop the ingredients, prepare, and pack the meals,” Lisonbee said.

“I like to get plenty of good carbs and proteins in my diet with at least a half-plate of vegetables,” Mr. Barlow said. A good meal is not loaded with greasy, fatty, or sugary foods and drinks. Hot Cheetos, Takis, and soda are examples of foods and drinks that are bad for the body.

Considering that there are so many benefits to eating healthy, one may wonder why more people do not. The answer is simple: time and money. It is much more convenient to buy fast food, and cheeseburgers and other similar foods are cheaper and faster than things like salads. Although this is true, one may try thinking of the investments and pay out. It is more beneficial to invest, plan, and provide for healthier products than gradually waste a lot of money on junk food.

Getting daily exercise is also a pivotal part of being healthy. Even incorporating a ten-minute workout can help with physical and psychological health.

So, as National Nutrition Month plays out, perhaps it is time for students to assess what lifestyle changes they could make to feel healthier, happier, and more confident in their bodies.