Granger Lancers are setting SMART Goals for 2018-2019

Eric A. Antonio, Reporter

THE 2018-2019 school year has started, and there’s almost no better way to start it than to set goals for the school year. Students setting goals should start by writing them down. It is a fact that this process makes people want to act upon their goals more, rather than just think about them. Teachers around the school have mentioned what S.M.A.R.T. goals are. S.M.A.R.T. is a measurement used to analyze how attainable and thorough goals are. S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely. It is important to use the acronym to dodge unrealistic expectations.

A lot of students wonder why goals for the school year are important. Goals are essential for success because it allows the goal setter to stay on track and be focused. Being specific with a goal is important because it is the stage where the person can figure out what is really wanted. A goal should be measurable, in order to allow a person to assess what has been or needs to be done to get what they desire.

Of course, a goal should be attainable. Setting goals too far out of reach can be disappointing and hinder progress. A relevant goal should be specifically relevant to the person who wishes to accomplish the goal. A person should not have a goal meant for another individual. It doesn’t work that way. Goals are a personal process.

Finally, timely is the last word in the acronym. A goal can either be short-term, mid-term or long-term. A short-term goal can last days or up to three months. Midterm goals take anywhere from three to 12 months. Long term goals range from one to two years. Goal setters should be aware of how long a specific goal should be, a goal needs a deadline in order to determine whether it has been accomplished or not.

This year’s sophomores are loaded with goals. Lesly Almanza (10) has a goal of making debate nationals and getting a 4.0 GPA. “I really enjoyed my freshman year. I was in the debate team and placed in tournaments. I made cheer, and I was in a musical. It makes me really excited for my sophomore year,” Almanza said.

Having an idea of goals is great and fortunately Almanza has a SMART plan. “I am going to practice my public speaking and do my homework. I want to accomplish these goals by the end of next year,” Almanza said.

Another sophomore is eager to try new things and help others. “My goals for the year are to try out for the softball team and make the team. If that doesn’t pan out, I’d like to join the track and field team. At the same time, I would like to be a leader in the soccer team and wrestling team, as well. My personal goal is to be a team leader during meets and games, and I will be able to achieve that by stepping out of my comfort zone,” Arleth Antonio (10) said.

Antonio plans on keeping her grades above a B and will continue to keep track of her homework.

Academic goals are really important for the school year, but school spirit and participation are vital concepts to consider. “I really want to get more Lancers to be involved with sports and school organizations. I think I’ll make that a goal. My other goals for junior year are to make it to state in basketball and to get at least a 26 on the ACT,” Kevin Tann (11) said.

Tann started studying ACT Preparation textbooks in May and continues to study in order to achieve his goal of obtaining a 26 on the ACT. “I am sure I’ll be stressed out for the test, but it’s part of the process,” Tann said.

Senior Blaze Blank (12) hopes to maintain a 4.0 GPA while participating in football, wrestling, and soccer. “I plan on qualifying for state in wrestling again. I also plan on placing. I will achieve this by working hard and keeping my grades up, of course,” Blank said.

In order to set goals and maintain the progress, a coach figure is encouraged. A goal setter should have someone to keep them focused and motivated to accomplish the goal. The counselors are great people for this exact thing. They are experts on setting goals and finding a pathway to accomplish them.

Consider setting a goal this year and becoming a successful Lancer.