Lancers grateful for educational role models

Leila Puentes, Reporter

GRATITUDE is when one shows much appreciation for anything or something specific. Education is something a lot of people take for granted, however many students at Granger High School are grateful for their education. 

“I am very grateful for going to Granger High School. I love the staff here, they are very helpful. Ms. Green has taught me a lot and helped me out a lot, I just like any teachers that feel more like a friend and actually helps you know the subject. I am grateful for my education because intelligence is one of the greatest powers to have, and I believe that the more intelligence you have, the stronger you are,” Noah Rivas (12) said.

“In 4th grade I had a teacher named Mrs.Williams that I loved. I thought that she was so great! I was jealous that she had kids because I wanted her to like me the most. I really loved her, and that was the first year that I was recognizing that I was smart, if that makes any sense. When I was in my junior year, I had a teacher here at Granger when I was attending, it was the drama teacher Mr. Butler.

He inspired me a lot, he wrote me personal letters, and encourages my creativity. He made me feel like I was important and special like that I had something to say, he was important to me. 

Also in college Professor Foot was amazing with everything, and I remember getting a C on an assignment and that was an achievement for me because she was a tough teacher. Then she would rip my paper to pieces but at the same time she has taught me so much about writing, not putting fluff in your writing, and actually saying something and meaning what you say.

The reason why I am grateful for my education is because I enjoy my education and being a teacher, and it was a really safe space for me. My parents got divorced when I was in high school and so I got really involved in school activities like student government, drill team, drama club, choir, and art team.

In the art team I designed a backdrop for some of the drill team performances, all of the assemblies, and went to every dance. In some ways school was a safe place for me when home a little chaotic, and some way I feel like my school raised me more that my parents did,“ Ms. Green (‘99) said.

“Ohayou gozaimasu, my name is Fukuda Sensei and I teach Japanese. I am grateful for my education, I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for my education. I am grateful for my parents for steering me to go to school, go to college and get an education. I also had a lot of good teachers throughout school that have encouraged me to study and learn. I was really lucky for taking Japanese in high school and if it wasn’t for my high school Japanese teachers, I wouldn’t be here today.

I am grateful for my education because education really allows you to have so many opportunities. The more that you can learn the more you can understand the world and finding things that you are passionate to learn about. There is so much out there, the only thing that is letting us experience it or being apart of it is not knowing it so we have to know about these things to appreciate them,” Fukuda Sensei said.

“Yes, I am so grateful for my education. I would like to thank Mr. Fuller because of his teaching style and his style made it easier to learn. I am also thankful for my education because a lot of people don’t have the opportunity to have an education. Especially if you are female, the fact that I can have an education while being female and black is a great thing,” Grace Amemastro (12) said.

“I am absolutely grateful for my education. I think it has given me a really big advantage in a lot of ways. My education has given me the critical thinking skills and able to make better decisions. It has also helped me with not only my career, but also in a lot of different ways it helped me with managing money.

I think it is easier to do that if you have an education, learning and understanding the situation. 

Plus, communication skills, opening up to other people, and having a good discussion with other people. My mom is the one who kept me going after my education, she pulled me through school because I did not like school. 

I was not the best student but my mom would basically sit me down and constantly tell me that my education is very important, and that I need to take it seriously. 

At that time I was ‘eh’ about it but now especially looking backwards and seeing where I am now, I am very certain that I am grateful for my education,” Ms. Fortse said.