High School students are feeling stressed and don’t know where to turn

EVERYONE goes through a rough patch from time to time, from something little to something really big. How we deal with it or how we go through it is different for everyone. Stress is a huge factor that plays into life. Dealing with it can be very hard when you don’t know where to get help or how to get out of it. Managing stress is very difficult at the time because you feel like it will never get better, but that’s false.

The stress rates of high school students have always been high. For example, last year 68% of females were stressed, as well as 55% of males. Teens have an average stress level of 5.8 out of 10 during the school year. The rates go up each year according to USA Today. They have also stated that many things cause stress and many effects come out of being stressed.

About 59% of students claim to have a high stress level because they are trying to manage their time with sports and working, plus school. Another stressor is another student acting out towards them, and that rate is about 26%. Those students usually end up with a headache because they do not know how to handle it. Stress can cause physical and emotional problems, especially with young adults who keep it all in.

Talking about your problems and what is bothering you is hard, especially if you don’t trust the person. That shouldn’t be the case. You should go to a trusting adult who will listen and help you. Maybe a teacher who you know you can trust, a school social worker, or even an administrator that you trust can help. An adult can help you a lot more than your best friend, but it is not a terrible choice to talk to a friend. However, a trusted adult or even a parent is a lot healthier choice for a young adult.

Most students use music as their way out of reality. Young adults run from their problems because they do not know how to help themselves. So, they listen to music that they can relate to and wonder why it is that way. Other teens will act out and rebel to get attention because that is how they cry out to be helped. I believe that young adults do not know how to seek proper help.

I think the best way to get help is to talk about it over and over again, and to just express how you feel. If you look at the problem or cause of stress as a bad thing, then you won’t get over it. I am a strong believer looking at what is bringing you stress from a positive outlook to help you overcome the situation at hand. However, I do understand that it is easier said than done. Everything takes time and it is up to you to know how much time is enough.

Life is too short to stress over the things you cannot change and the things that do not change you. It will not be a big deal a day, a week, or even a year later, and I promise you will look back on it and use it as a lesson that will let you grow. Stress can be very difficult to deal with, and I know it is very hard to reach out to anyone, but it helps so much.