an open forum for student expression

Tri-Color Times

Filed under Reviews

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children: a movie of wonder

THEY SAY you should never judge a book by its cover, but sadly that’s exactly what I did when Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children hit theatres. The cover included older-themed photos of a young girl in a plain white dress standing around, so it just didn’t draw my attention. However, after seeing the movie, I can only imagine the book will be even better.

The movie starts off with a young outcast named Jake, who usually gets pushed around a lot. He soon gets an unusual call from his grandfather to come over as quickly as he can. As Jake goes along his long route his grandfather is attacked. Jake gets there in time to watch his grandfather die in pain including the removal of his eyes by his attacker.

While mourning, Jake remembers stories his grandfather used to tell about a special school he went to with kids with magic powers. Some of these kids were a girl as light as air and an invisible boy, who were protected by their teacher Miss Peregrine, who could turn into a bird and fly. As much as Jake loved these stories, he knew them as fictional stories.

That is until he finds a note from Miss Peregrine and tries to find her in England. Jake and his father go to a town in England and learn that the children’s home doesn’t exist anymore due a bombing in World War Two.

However, Jake follows one of the children and goes through a loop, a time traveling device, that takes him to the home where the special children live. From there they have another adventure that you will have to watch the movie to learn about.

I love how in this movie it showcases that being different is OK and in some ways, you can protect people by being different, which teaches Jake who he is special and not just some loner kid. I think this point is important for kids to understand.

Every kid is an outcast at least once in his or her life, and everyone needs to know that being different is not only OK, but it’s better for everyone overall. People have a need to feel significant by bringing something else to the table without the fear of being rejecting.

This movie also shows that what you need to do in life is not doubt yourself. Don’t hide behind the fear of being told ‘no’ or that someone doesn’t like you. J ust be you.

I love the messages that this movie has in it, teaching kids life lessons that should be taken to heart and it can be hard to find a meaning in movies. Luckily this movie is interesting, entertaining, and ethically amazing.

• Reviews

Destiny 2: New Legends Will Rise isn’t what we thought

• Reviews

Comic Con

• Reviews

New Death Note movie disappoints

• Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children: a movie of wonder

Reviews

Fresh clowning around in It

• Reviews

Three Dark Crowns

Reviews

Rapper ready to change the world

Reviews

Moxie delivers fresh tracks for review

Reviews

13 Reasons Why Will Shatter Your Heart

Reviews

Billy Budd takes the stage at Granger High School

Reviews

Bestselling author Veronica Roth visits Granger High School

an open forum for student expression